Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Preface

On June 25, 2010, I posted photos of the Mountain Lady Slipper, a flower I found in the woods near Oakland Camp.  That caused a bit of excitement as the flower had not been reported from this location in the 80+ years the camp has been here, so far as anyone could remember.  People came from out of town to see it, and I got lots of email requests for directions.  On June 10, 2011, I posted new photos of the same flower.  In several cases, I think it was coming from the same bulbs.  Note those dates.
Last night, one of my local fans told me he saw the lady slippers blooming this week, and a few plants were already past their prime and the flowers were wilting.  It's May 19!  Still don't believe global warming is happening?  I'm going out there as soon as I post this.  As Imogene Cunningham said, when asked which was her favorite photo, "the next one I'm going to take" or words to the effect.  That's my plan today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment