Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Afterthoughts on Tuesday


After reviewing today's photos, I thought I'd better post two more.  I encountered a couple of ladies in the road near Oakland Camp trying to give this flattened Garter Snake a decent burial.  Roadkill is always a sad sight for me, and it was nice to meet people who felt as sad about it as I do.  Then I decided I'd better post a sharper photo of my favorite milkweed.  The earlier one was a bit blurry.  This is the Showy Milkweed, Asclepias speciosa, and it's already hosting lots of insect and spider visitors.  Soon we'll see lots of Monarch Butterflies on them.  First, the adults, and in a few weeks, the spectacular caterpillars.

1 comment:

  1. Joe -

    Found a young (neonate?) garter snake in our yard in East Quincy a couple of days ago - kept it long enough for the grandkid to experience it a little while, then let it go in the garden this morning - so at least we know there are young ones to replace those squished by cars!

    P. Russell

    ReplyDelete