Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Neighborhood; Fall Colors

 The Sweetgum, or Liquidambar, in front of the courthouse is "peaking," as they say in the other fall colors blogs.  The bright blue sky is a nice complement to the average orange of the leaves.
 One of my favorite milkweed spots on Lee Road is showing lots of bursting pods on the Showy Milkweed, Asclepias speciosa. 
 Amongst the milkweeds, there are still a few Chicory plants making a comeback after being mowed several times during the late summer.  I love it when they get the last laugh.
 In Boyle Ravine, just above my house, there are some spectacular Dogwoods turning red.  The red looks great when still surrounded by green.
 The Big Leaf Maples have lots of winged seeds.  I collected a few for friends who hope to help with dispersal.
 Here are a couple of photos of Big Leaf Maple leaves with some sort of viral infection.  Beautiful in their own way.  I recommend clicking on these for a more detailed look.
 Here's a dried up Dogwood leaf suspended on a thread of spider web...
 ...and a nice crop of lichen growing on a branch of Douglas-fir.

1 comment: