Friday, March 13, 2015

A Study in Names and Beliefs

This tiny, cute plant, whose flowers are less than a quarter-inch in diameter, is known as Spring Whitlow Grass, even though it's not a grass.  It's a member of the cabbage family, also known as the mustard family, Brassicaceae, formerly known as the Cruciferae.  Tomorrow I'll tell more of its story.  Known by many different common names and also by more than one scientific name, although ultimately, in science, every species must be known by one name, its "correct" name.
Going to table mountain tomorrow where I'll see many dozens of species of flowers blooming.  I'm posting the Whitlow Grass tonight so I won't forget to tell its story.  Tomorrow I could be so overwhelmed by the beauty of many colors that I'll forget everything I've been thinking today.

No comments:

Post a Comment