Monday, May 4, 2015

Can you imagine?

 Once again, nature is putting on its spring show and I am getting caught up in dramatic moments before finishing the stories I have begun.  WHile my previous post begins with a photo of a bear looking over my back deck, I never did get to finish the story which also includes Carpenter Bees and Dog Violets.  Perhaps tomorrow, when I am refreshed.  For now, enjoy the Azaleas pictured above.  They are growing just outside the bookstore on the FRC campus.  When I first walked by this afternoon, without a camera, there were beautiful Hummingbird Moths flitting from flower to flower.  When I came back with my camera, they were gone.  These large moths look a lot like hummingbirds to the uninitiated.  They are also known as Sphinx Moths, a whole family of them.  So, I thought I'd just show the flowers and let you imagine the moths.  But then I remembered I had some Sphinx moths in my photo archive. 
 The above photo is a caterpillar of a White-lined Sphinx that I photographed a couple of years ago.
And this is the adult of an Eyed Sphinx, also from two summers ago.  I'm going to visit the Azaleas again tomorrow and see if I can get a photo of the moths in action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment