Monday, July 13, 2015

Oakland Camp area July 7, Part 1

 It was a grey, drizzly day, which is sometimes better than a sunny day for photography.  It seems like the colors are recorded the way I remember seeing them, and that's the way I like to show them  No "green eggs and ham" photography for me.  The great crop of Pennyroyal this spring has been nice to watch through its stages, but I'm a little disappointed to see only bees and occasional butterflies landing on them.  I've seen only one Red-shouldered Ctenucha Moth, but I wasn't quick enough to get a good photo.
 This has also been a good year for Brewer's Angelica, but on this plant, too, I've only seen a limited array of inssect and spider visitors.  No Goldenrod Crab Spiders yet.
 This particular species of Longhorn Beetle seems plentiful, but I haven't been able to determine a specific name for it.  That's the larger beetle on the left.  The smaller one in the lower right corner is probably a Klamath Weed Beetle.  These were abundant on the nearby St. John's Wort, so I took this to be a stray.
 A "boring" roadside weed, which I don;t consider boring at all, is the English Plantain.  The closer you get the prettier it is.  Click on it for a closer view.
 The Fireweed seems to be doing OK, even though the area where I found it is nearly bone dry whereas in most year it would be muddy there and even have standing water with butterflies drinking.
 So far the Crimson Columbine I've seen appears a bit drought-stressed, but it's still attractive.  I haven't seen any bug visitors on it.
 A great batch of Leopard Lily is growing along Tollgate Creek. Even though the creek is dry, there is undoubtedly still some flow beneath the surface. These are between the Oakland Camp Road and the creek's entrance to Spanish Creek, just north of the corral.

I love the arrangement of the Damselfly's six legs as they hold its body perpendicular to the plant stem.  Reminds me of a trick I used to be able to do on sign posts.  More Oakland Camp photos to come, especially the five kinds of milkweeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment