Thursday, November 19, 2015

"Subvert the dominant paradigm"

Here's a mugshot I took a year or two ago.  Today, I'm drinking to freedom of speech and press, such as they still exist.  My students will be doing research papers on Censorship.  I do the research, too, always expecting to discover new things.  Some of my colleagues and I are discussing censorship, and in the midst of these discussions, a quote by the late great Chief Justice Earl Warren, has surfaced.
"The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression."  I like that.  Ironically, the word "sword" contains the word "word," although there's no etymological connection that I can find.
As is the usual practice in this blog, I will explore connections between my teaching of English (critical thinking and writing) and the natural world.  I'll be looking for activities in nature that may be seen as analogous to censorship.
I stole the title of today's post from the late Edward Abbey.  I don't know if he stole it from someone else, but it seems likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment